Reading Harry Potter books may make kids more tolerant towards gays, immigrants and refugees.
Fees are easier to compare under a new reporting regime, and big differences have been found.
A survey is planned on how much television New Zealand children watch.
When parents carve space in their lives for happiness, it gives their kids permission to do the same
Set up a condiment bar and get kids to build their own delicious nachos, customised, just how they like them.
- Disneyland: Not always the happiest place on Earth
- How much screen time is too much?
- Shopping around can save borrowers big time
- Facebook a popular way to sell
- Navigating house insurance changes
- A convert to cruising
- Do you need cover in sickness and health?
- Is your home a terrible investment?
- Raising financially literate kids
- Toymaker says children can learn to code
- From poor to working poor
- Don't get hung out to dry
- Saving difficult family relationships
- Discounts? It pays to ask
- Favourite CD books for Kiwi kids
- Recipe: Beef and kumara casserole
- Fruitful take on saving money
- How cloud photo services match up
- Parents need to teach kids financial skills
- Teaching kids about money
what's in this section?
If people discussing whether to fix or float their mortgage makes you feel dumb, you are not alone.
There is such a glut of cheap food available in New Zealand that we're cavalier about wasting it.
Arsenic, insect bodies or even wood - the ten weirdest additives and ingredients found in everyday foods.
This is a curiously old-fashioned and understated children's animated movie.
Who lives in a painaporo under te moana?
Are all these shiny iPads and laptops actually improving our children's education?
Experts are warning parents not to become hypocrites when it comes to screen time.
The Islands are famous as honeymoon spots and luxury getaways, but what if you're going with family?
Travelling with kids doesn't have to be a nightmare. Check out our top tips.
Kerryann Dunlop was a lippy teenager hoping to win a spot as his apprentice when she first met Jamie Oliver, now he's just released a cookbook for her.
Not so much a recipe, as a fun new take on an old classic - check out this cool idea for fairy bread.
JK Rowling has posted a new Harry Potter story online, that features her hero at a school reunion, approaching 34 and showing a few grey hairs.
Reading books has been a daily staple for Miss K, however Miss A has more of a love/hate relationship.
Are you the perfect daughter, the one who speaks to her mother every day,or the flawed version who forgets her birthday?
Anna loves having her family visit and last week she had some much needed sister time.
I am looking at getting back into the work force after being a stay-at-home mum. I'm worried my CV is out of date.
I'm not fit at all, but recently joined a gym. I've just found out I'm pregnant. Is it safe to keep exercising?
If I thought I didn't have enough time in the day before, I know I definitely don't now.
Anna is thinking about getting out more with Ruby, but is wondering where to go.
A recent TV piece about a couple's battle with infertility attracted some of the worst, ignorant attitudes those battling with infertility face.
It's ironic that the one thing you need to do more of to have a baby is harder to do the longer it takes.
For my husband's birthday last year I gave him a sizeable cyst on my left ovary.
One of the things I've had a few friends bring up is about investing in a decent nappy bag.
Miss A is on a mission, having spurned the buggy in favour of legging it to her destination.
Miss K's cartoon watching might be on hold for the Comm Games, but they show the value of hard work.
Potty training is just around the corner in our house, and it's one of the phases of parenting I have least looked forward to.
It can be the smallest things that can really get to me.
To have a grandchild and hear their laughter is to have a glimpse of eternity, the bond between grandparent and grandchild lasts a lifetime.
When they were good, we loved those weeks of mayhem and when they were bad – well, we had Baxter to show us how it’s done.
- Discussions on our forums
- Comments on our stories
- Newsletter guides to pregnancy, babies and toddlers
- A personal profile and the chance to connect with other mums
- Newsletter updates from the Essential Mums team
- Competitions and the chance to win great prizes.