This day care in New York costs almost as much in tuition as Harvard University.
Parents always place so such emphasis on this milestone. It is one of the big ones, but it doesn't really matter when it happens.
Reasoning with babies is a futile endeavor that will ultimately end in disappointment - but it is still funny to watch.
So what is it that shapes our opinions on what’s an appropriate age for our children to get their ears pierced?
Manawatu and Wellington parenting support services launch 24-hour national help line.
- Recipe: Beef and kumara casserole
- Banned names: Scrotum, Robocop, Hitler...
- Talking to premature babies helps development
- Breastfeeding mums want to ruin your day
- Matt Calman: Expanding the menu
- Bed sharing and breastfeeding
- Music eases babies' pain
- Parents under pressure to 'educate' babies
- Strange Puritanical names
- Shopping smart for baby
- Fresh baby food best
- Boosting breast milk supply
- Kiran Chug: Learning to breastfeed
- Boobs aren't just about sex
- Kiran Chug: Coping with sleep deprivation
- Trusting your instincts
- Bellyful filling a need
- Is crying it out really bad?
- Is baby-led weaning best?
what's in this section?
Track your baby’s developmental progress during its first year with our milestone checklist guide.
Sign up for monthly newsletters detailing your baby's milestones, and tips on everything from sleep to teething.
Babies develop according to their own timeline, but there are some key milestones that are worth understanding and celebrating.
Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in an adorable picture series together.
Here are 11 breastfeeding tips to think about BEFORE you have have the baby.
Melanie Boomker has donated almost 483l of breast milk over five years - earning her a spot in the Guinness Book of Records.
Colicky babies given probiotics as part of a large study, cried or fussed more than babies who were given placebo drops.
Stefanie Nauderer is a non-vaccinating parent. She doesn't want to subject her daughters to the possible side-effects.
For weeks Miss A has been standing at the kitchen drawer, rifling through its contents like a detective looking for clues.
If you've found yourself cooing in 'baby talk' to your baby, you're off to a good start.
- Discussions on our forums
- Comments on our stories
- Newsletter guides to pregnancy, babies and toddlers
- A personal profile and the chance to connect with other mums
- Newsletter updates from the Essential Mums team
- Competitions and the chance to win great prizes.